Cartografica Galeotti is based in the largest paper making district in Europe, in the province of Lucca.
The area has been known for its paper making traditions since the XII century thanks to an abundance of water and northerly winds, as well as being a central location in terms of Italy and the Mediterranean.
There are more than 100 companies in the paper and packaging sector in the area, brining in a turnover of almost 3,500 million euro and employing over 6,500 people.
78% of the companies make paper for corrugated cardboard, tissue and boxes for industrial, food or packaging uses, while the remainder make packaging. With production levels of more than 900,000 tonnes a year the district controls approximately 80% of national toilet paper production (17% in Europe) and with levels of 1,000,000 tonnes a year approximately 40% of national corrugated cardboard production (5% in Europe).
- High degree of specialisation (paper production and transformation)
- High number of companies in one area
- Excellent workforce know-how
- Presence of expert suppliers of technologies and services
- Presence of skill centres for training and innovation
- Central position (for Italy and the Mediterranean)
- Centuries-old tradition
Source: Lucca Chamber of Commerce